Where else would you go first when you find yourself in San Antonio?

One of the things that keeps business travel sane and fresh for me is to steal a couple of hours, generally in the early, early morning, to get out and shoot the town I’m in, first as night photography and later in the gorgeous light that you only see at the break of day.

And since I was in San Antonio, where else would I go but the Alamo?

It didn’t disappoint. The first time I pointed my camera up, I found myself staring at a wonderful crescent moon hovering over the entry to the shrine in a pitch black sky.

Alamo 2 for blogIt was so serene and beautiful, especially when I had the place completely to myself, that it was easy to forget its violent history. Alamo 1 for blog

It was too early to venture inside, but eventually a guard arrived and we chatted.  I delighted in my good fortune when he opened a massive gate to let a gardener in, and, after some deliberation, allowed me to photograph this glorious 140 year-old live oak that was transplanted, in 1910, at age 40, to its current location in the courtyard it now dominates.

Alamo Live oak for blog

And here’s the last shot of the morning.  It was worth the wait.

Alamo 3 for blogAll shots were taken with a Nikon D800 camera and 12-24mm wide-angle lens.  Some small amount of clean-up was done in Photoshop, but not much.

Though dragging myself out of bed is sometimes tough, I’m always glad (after-the-fact) that I rose early at least once during my trip to watch the break of day!

Enjoy.

steve sig

This entry was posted in Fine Images, Travel Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Where else would you go first when you find yourself in San Antonio?

1. Early bird and all that… The oak tree is beautiful.

2. Rob Fitzgerrell says:

Wow Steve! GREAT SHOTS!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Rob, you’ve moved! Write me via email so we can stay in touch.

4. John says:

Thanks for these wonderful pictures, Steve.

5. janspencley says:

Wonderful Steve. Love these shots (and the story). Thanks for sharing. xoxoxo

6. Barbie Rose says:

Hi Steve! Your photos are stunning and I just loved what you shared. You are truly an amazing artist!

Barbie

Sent from my iPhone

Hey, thanks all! Can’t tell you how much I appreciate the comments…

Good to be back home, for all the obvious reasons (Jonna!). But also, for the weather…San Antonio was close to 100º and 90% humidity. The night I arrived, it was 94º at 9:30. Yow! It’s a very pretty city with lots to see and do, but I don’t know how anybody lives there…